Proud and Staying FREE
Good progress this cycle! With 28 days
and only a bit of business and home duties to slow me down I'm
satisfied the boat is coming along. Left below is the first hull
that we flipped a couple days ago and the new hull at right almost
ready to flip. I've decided to join the bridgedeck as a unit
after both hulls have been flipped and finished on the bum instead
of joining half the deck and joining the split. I will feel more
confident of good alignment if I can set in the structural bulkheads
as complete units. Also not near as clumsy a thing to roll around.
This building system is brilliant! Even
with some difficulties to start the boat is going together well.
As originally intended, I look forward to trying other materials
though the Duflex panels have achieved their goal albeit with
quite a few repairs along the way.
Marine is supplying materials
for the next phase of construction. I have found they match prices
with the best of them and the people really know what they are
doing. So important!
It's hard to work and play photographer
at the same time so I apologise if the photos aren't organised
to best perspective but these were mostly caught by my partner
whilst I was hard at it. But stop your whining cause if you are
studying these pages for instruction you are going to be miles
ahead of where I started. Building from these kinds of plans
(anyone's) involves a lot of independent direction and it's very
common, especially with a newer style of boat, to find (hopefully)
small mistakes or incomplete directions. Designers will make
themselves available for questions but to keep from being a nag
on the phone.. the advise is.. take responsibility, stay alert!
Fixes and Problems
Epoxy is murder on me and a lot of people.
I found normal rubber gloves inadequate as my shirt sleeves would
ride down and pick up a bit of epoxy and then ride up my arm
again when I moved and transfer the epoxy to my wrists which
were suffering and I couldn't figure out how for a while. Now
I use barrier cream and ace bandages taped on and it really makes
a difference. I can't make it plain enough... do not get this
shit on you and wear a very good quality respirator at all times
when working the stuff. I use a 3m brand not that Chinese made
junk from the hardware store.
I found an anomaly in the plans that
will cost a little work but it could have been worse. The big
red arrow and the dotted line it points to are objects I put
there to show the actual end of the chamfer panel. The dotted
line to the left of that is where the plans indicated the end
of the chamfer panel. The problem it caused was that I was about
to cut off material on the deck panel as it appeared to be over
long relative to the chamfer panel. I stopped short of making
the cut but did do the under deck support before I found out
the error in plans. see below..
I was just about to cut off the deck
panel to be even with the chamfer panel as the plans indicated.
As it is I will have to scarf in another piece of pipe for the
support and fair it off later. It turns out that the deck is
meant to overhang the chamfer panel. I have made the designer
aware of the problem so assume it will be fixed in future plans
but this makes a good point about keeping alert. I give myself
a C+ grade for spotting it before I cut but after the support
This is a view of the inverted hull
showing the join between inner sheer panel and chamfer panel.
The inner sheer panel was cut in "Facets" rather than
a smooth arc. Do not trim the panels to fit!! Just fill with
bogg. And speaking of the chamfer panel, it is very easy to get
it mounted wrong. It is nearly, but not quite, symmetrical. Another
builder had got that wrong and made more work for himself to
repair. I heard about that so really took care. The designer
says he may put a cut notch into the panel in future to identify
which side is which.
The inner hull panel is cut way off.
This one you do trim. The black line indicates the approximate
shape to begin with. I trimmed off about 20-30mm in the centre
to get it close enough to bogg. This panel again is nearly symmetrical.
The way you tell which side is up is to look at the aft end.
When the hull is up-right the end of the panel will have a slant
and you should leave the short end up. You may have to repair
that too.. see below..
This is a close up shoot of the end
of the inner hull panel where it meets the bulkhead. I had to
splice in a piece of shaped scrap to fill. It all fit under a
tape join that was to be there anyway. It should be OK like that.
So the lesson is... keep your eyes open
for problems and don't expect perfection. It is sooo much easier
to spot problems before the action rather than repair after.
The error in the keel panel was also the designers mistake. Bob offered to assist in that repair but I preferred
to do myself. He and any reasonable designer will be contactable
by phone to advise if there is a question but the fact remains,
you are building a big boat with drawings and what amounts to
a couple A 4 pages of text. I think it is more useful to look
at plans like these (anybody's) as guidance but not neccesarily
as step by step instructions.
I talked to an experienced builder and
surveyor just a day ago and he agrees emphatically, especially
on a new design it is unusual not to find a few bugs.